Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hector (formerly Jerry) - Adoption Update!

Hector was adopted in May 2009:  "Thank you for contacting me inquiring about my "boy" Hector. I could go on and on about this guy, but I will spare you. Suffice to say that Hector is one of the the best things to happen to me in the past 3 years. He came into my life during a period of sadness and upheaveal and honestly I wonder how I would have fared without him. During my most "down" times there was this little (later, fairly large!) bundle of fur doing something so goofy that I had to laugh. I'm now in a much better frame of mind and Hector is a big reason why. 



Hector came to me entirely by accident. I went to see a different puppy but that little guy wanted nothing to do with me. I sat on the step at the foster home wondering what my next step would be when Hector (then Jerry) climbed up on the step behind me and licked my ear. Love at first lick! I took him home that day.


My grandson came up with the name Hector. We all laughed about such a silly name for a dog, but he's lived up to it. Hector the Wrector, Hector the Protector he's all of the above and more.


He takes his Retriever heritage VERY seriously. I'm always guaranteed a boot, shoe, or his bed when I come home from work. He's fairly well behaved, quite smart, knows quite a repertoire of "tricks" and commands and is great with my grandkids. He alerts me to anyone (or thing) in the yard but I'm not sure if he'd ever attack anyone. For the most part he's been wonderful with anyone who comes into the house. He'll back away if he's unsure of someone, but shows no aggression. His bark is enough to scare anyone off anyway.


I have 2 cats that he has made a truce with. He harrasses them and they give it right back to him, but there has been no real "fights", just squabbles.


My biggest challenge with Hector has been getting him out to socialize. He loves other dogs but hasn't been around many strangers, so at every opportunity I take him with me on errands and to Pet Quarters (one of his favorite places). So far so good.


I often talk about Lucky Pup and what a Lucky Human I've been to have found Hector. Thank you so much for my new best friend. I'm forever grateful.



No comments: